GMC Number: 6160854
Dr Bains qualified as a medical doctor at St Bartholomew’s and The Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London in 2007. She worked in London following qualification and obtained dual specialist accreditation in both Adult Psychiatry and Older Adult Psychiatry from the Royal College of Psychiatry.
She is joint Clinical Lead and a Consultant Psychiatrist in a London psychiatric service which provides acute and intensive medical care to severe and acutely unwell patient that would otherwise need to be admitted to the inpatient services. She has also worked as a consultant psychiatrist in Older Adult Psychiatry, a Diagnostic Memory Service and an Early Detection service.
Prior to becoming a medical doctor, she obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Genetics at Queen Mary, University of London and worked as a researcher in the Department of Palaeontology at the Natural History Museum in London. She also obtained a Masters degree and the Diploma of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in Medical Parasitology and worked as a research scientist at the National Environment Agency, Department of infectious Diseases in Singapore, where her research contributed to a change in the law for controlling Dengue Fever.
Dr Bains uses a biological-psychological-social approach to fully understand a person’s presentation and how different aspects of their lives could be impacting on their mental health. She has a particular interest in:
- Adult Psychiatry (including adult ADHD, mood disorders, anxiety disorders, psychotic disorders, personality disorders, phobias, stress),
- Older Adult Psychiatry (including mood disorders, anxiety disorders, psychotic disorders, stress, diagnostic memory assessment and the different dementias)
- Acute and Intensive Care Psychiatry
- Perinatal Psychiatry(psychiatric presentations related to pregnancy and the post-partum period including stress, baby blues, postpartum depression and postpartum psychosis)
- Women’s Mental Health (psychiatric presentations related to menstruation, infertility and the menopause)
- Trans-cultural Psychiatry
- Early Intervention in Psychosis
- Early Detection in Psychosis
- Liaison Psychiatry (psychiatric presentations related to underlying acute or chronic medical conditions and chronic pain)
Dr Bains has been actively involved in research both outside of and within psychiatry. Her research work focuses on the genetics of psychiatric conditions and also mindfulness-based cognitive therapy and the benefits of alternative therapies alongside the traditional treatments for psychiatric conditions and chronic pain.
Dr Bains is bilingual and able to provide assessments in Punjabi if required