GMC Number: 5208794
Dr Asakpa is an experienced consultant psychiatrist. She has worked extensively in the UK and sub-Saharan Africa. She has travelled extensively and speaks basic Romanian and French. She trained in the eastern deanery and was actively involved in educational programs at Darwin Centre in Cambridge. She obtained her higher specialist training in Intellectual Disability Psychiatry.
Her areas of expertise include mental health disorders in children and adolescents including individuals with intellectual disabilities. As a result, she worked closely with neurologists and paediatricians through her training and subsequently in her role as a consultant psychiatrist.
Due to her interest in the prevention of mental illness, she obtained a post-graduate certificate in public health with a focus on prevention in mental illness and promoting the general well being of the individual. She believes in a holistic approach to treatment and actively advocates methods of stress reduction through a healthy diet, exercise and meditation.
Her areas of special interest include management of:
- Transition problems between childhood and adulthood in individuals with intellectual disabilities.
- Challenging behaviour in children and adults with intellectual disability and Autistic Spectrum disorder.
- Drug and alcohol problems in childhood and adolescence.
- Mood disorders, depression, ADHD, psychosis, anxiety in childhood and also in individuals with intellectual disability.
- Epilepsy, Neurodevelopmental disorders, genetic disorders and Autistic spectrum disorder.
- Public Mental health, effects of stress and the environment on mental illness and it’s prevention.
- Culturally sensitive presentations of mental disorders in sub-Saharan Africa.
She is also involved in a YouTube channel ‘Lets Talk about it with Dr Phinny’ promoting awareness of mental illness and de-stigmatisation. https://youtu.be/iQIed2y7xB0